Difference between revisions of "Main Page"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
==Bike Collective Network==
==Bike Collective Network==
Revision as of 11:30, 6 December 2018
||February 2017 Love our Wiki Contest
Show the wiki some love, maybe update a thing or two. More info at February 2017 Wiki Contest
Bike Collective Network
The mission of the Bike Collective Network is to strengthen and encourage communication and resource sharing between existing and future community bike shops. Collectively we can improve a bigger wheel as opposed to re-inventing smaller ones.
This wiki is here to help bike collectives collaborate and share ideas. Whether you are an advocate, mechanic, or just someone who likes to ride -- anyone can freely edit the content of this site. A history of all changes ensures that nothing is lost.
Lists of Organizations
Just starting out? Looking to expand? Before you do anything crazy, start planning! Set clear goals and the path to meeting those goals will also become clear. Follow hundreds of similar organizations by using and contributing to these free online resources...
- Organizational Models
- Legal Filings
- Strategic Planning
- Over 300 examples of Community Bicycle Organizations and International Bicycle Aid Organizations.
- Teaching Resources
- Common Activities:
- Community Bike Shop: Providing bicycle tools, parts, used bikes and mechanical expertise to the public.
- Earn-a-Bike: Programs that allow people to literally earn a bike through learning or volunteer work, sometimes focused exclusively on youth.
- Valet Bike Parking: Providing corralled areas where volunteers watch your bike while you enjoy an event.
- Safety Education: The League of American Bicyclists has a nicely pre-packaged program called Smart Cycling which includes a Bike Rodeo Kit.
- Mechanical Training: Park Tool has a nicely pre-packaged program called the Park Tool School.
- Helmet Distribution
- Bicycle Art: Following Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle old bikes and parts are turned into works of art.
- Bicycle Advocacy: Many Community Bicycle Organizations concentrate on the grass roots elements of educating and getting people on bikes. However some organizations, or at least some of their members, are also involved in traditional bicycle advocacy.
- Women's Only Night: Encouraging more women and transgender people to get involved and learn in a comfortable space without men.
- Commercial Bike Racks: Providing outdoor bike racks and installation local businesses and cities.
- Organization Building Resources:
Community Bike Shop
Providing bicycle tools, parts, used bikes and mechanical expertise to the public.
- Bike and Part Donations: acquisition, sorting and re-sale.
- Shop Location
- Staffing: paid, volunteer or both.
- Shop Organization
- Shop Recycling
- Volunteer Handbook
- Capital Improvement Plans
- Proper Bike Fit
- Maintenance Classes
Programs that allow people to literally earn a bike through learning or volunteer work, sometimes focused exclusively on youth.
- Teaching Methods
- Bike!Bike! is an annual international conference of nonprofit bike collectives and other bicycle projects.
- Bike!Bike! Southeast 2012 is in Birmingham, Alabama, March 23-25.
- Youth Bike Summit is organized by Recycle-a-Bicycle in New York City every year.