I'd love to be. Thanks! - Quill 16:24, 22 November 2010 (UTC)
- Done. --Jonathan 19:35, 24 November 2010 (UTC)
Require Email Confirmation
Could we turn on required email confirmation for new accounts? Might slow down the recent wave of spammers. See: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEmailConfirmToEdit
- Done --Jonathan 22:03, 13 February 2011 (PST)
So...it would seem that the main page has been hijacked a bit. I'm not familiar with making changes, but wanted to make sure you were aware of it.
- All fixed, until the next wave. --Jonathan 22:05, 13 February 2011 (PST)
Just noticed that Quill is a Bureaucrat but not an Administrator, so they lack all the Administrator privileges given here: Special:ListGroupRights. Was this by accident? It seemed like he/she was interested in helping with the spam, and they've been categorizing like crazy as well. --Dustingram 16:36, 14 February 2011 (PST)
- Accident fixed. --Jonathan 22:21, 20 February 2011 (PST)
- Thanks! I don't think we're going to be able to keep up with the spam manually though. They are clearly using bots to post. Can we find some kind of bot to remove it? - Quill 09:18, 8 March 2011 (PST)
- I didn't either. If you have any ideas, I am game. --Jonathan 09:41, 9 March 2011 (PST)
Getting a lot of spammy edits from IPs (users without accounts). Might be a good idea to require account creation in order to edit (I believe it was this way before?) --Dustingram 16:54, 7 August 2011 (PDT)
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
As you can see on my talk page, User:Sopotito has asked about changing upload settings to allow for .doc and .odt files. I'm not sure what you think about that, or how to change it - could you talk to Tito directly? Thanks! - Quill 07:08, 12 December 2011 (PST)
Are any of the options listed here possible? - Quill 06:18, 9 July 2012 (PDT)
- We've already implemented a few of these and have definitely come a long way -- I know this because the handful of spam we get a day seems like nothing compared to the massive amount there was before. That said, I think it would be reasonable to take another step and use an IP blacklist (Also, if I remember correctly, Jonathan is no longer the person to talk to about these types of modifications to the wiki... but I'm not sure who is.)
Main Page Topic Addition
Thanks for taking on the burden of maintaining this site!
I suggest "Maintenance Classes" for patrons be added to Common Activities as it is different than "Mechanical Training." I've posted a draft copy of the VéloCity Bicycle Cooperative basic maintenance class under "Teaching Resources" but that is a sub-topic to "Earn-a-bike." Maintenance Classes for the general public are often offered by coops and on the list there has been some discussion of volunteer mechanical training. To me, a volunteer should know at a minimum what is taught in a basic maintenance class so they do tie together.
I think a page for "Volunteer Training" might have value too. And "Mechanical Training" to "Open Source Mechanic Training"
Thanks for considering my suggestions.