Women and Trans Programs
please see our talk page for what is needed on this page and for what projects people have claimed
Why Safer Spaces are Important!
For many of us on this wiki, this conversation is old hat. For anyone joining in and being curious about the why of WTF/FTW/W&T/Women's safer spaces, this space will serve as a means of understanding the need. Even if every single moment in a bike collective was filled with people striving toward a safer space as best they could, there would still be a need for WTF night because the people who show up couldn't be expected to know that.
the more you do to make a space accessible to more people, the less it will be exclusively the default demographic that shows up and sticks around.
A good page with an okay primer as to why one might need/want safer spaces is Patriarchy and Bicycle Repair.
Suffice it to say that every bicycle space unless otherwise stated is a de facto "boys club" and many femme / trans folks report feeling more comfortable in safer spaces designed specifically for them.
Ideally, the goal is for an entire collective to participate in a safer space agreement at all times.
Community Bicycle Programs with Women And Trans (sometimes femme) safer spaces
at least according to our fine wiki circa Feb 2016
- Our Community Bikes
- Bike Dump
- BICAS (Tucson)
- Sopo Bike Coop (Atlanta)
- Troy Bike Rescue (Troy and Albany)
- Free Ride (Pittsburgh)
- Neighborhood Bike Works (Philadelphia)
- Salt Lake City Bicycle Collective
- Bike Pirates (Toronto)
- Edmonton Bicycle Commuters Society (Edmonton)
- Bike Kitchen (Vancouver)
- 1304 Bikes (Raleigh)
- Third Hand Bicycle Cooperative (Columbus)
- Bike City Recyclery (Fayetteville)
- Sacramento Bicycle Kitchen (Sacramento)
- Bikekitchen Vienna
- Bike Athens Bicycle Recycling Program (Athens)
- Ogden Bicycle Collective (Ogden)
- Recycle Cycles (Kitchener, ON, Canada)
- Bike Saviours Bicycle Collective (Tempe)
- VéloCity Bicycle Cooperative (Alexandria)
- Pedallers' Arms (Leeds)
- The Community Spoke! (Boston)
- San Francisco Yellow Bike Project (San Francisco)
- Pedal MCR (Manchester)
- Newark Bike Project (Newark)
- Hub City Cycles Community Co-operative (Nanaimo)
- Bicycle Collective (Utah)
- PEDAL (also not in the commuity bike shops list)
- Broken Spoke Bike Co-op (Oxford)
- RAD (Recycle A Dunger) (Christchurch)